International Retailer Specialized Trade - IT Strategy and IT Operating Model
A new IT strategy and IT operating model to align with the corporate strategy toward a strong omnichannel presence and business growth.
Over the last decades, the company has established a strong position in the international market. While traditionally, specialized trade focused on brick-and-mortar stores, efficient logistics, and a vital procurement function, the internet revolution changed the business significantly.
For corporate IT, this means significant change. Previously working as an efficiently managed cost-center following classic paradigms, IT now needs to get stronger involved in business strategy and business activities. Modern and scalable e-commerce capabilities have to be established, new paradigms - such as agile - have to dramatically reduce time-to-market cycles, and the design and implementation of various business processes must be rethought.
Challenges and opportunities in cloud transformation, a diverse application architecture with a high legacy portion, and the intense competition in the market for digital / IT specialists are ahead.
The goal of the project was to develop a new future-oriented IT strategy and IT operating model, considering the following key points in particular:
- Align with the updated business strategy, in particular strengthening the omnichannel capabilities and customer experience
- Reflect the needs and priorities of the business functions
- Understand the strengths and weaknesses of the current IT landscape, the IT operating model as well as the context of architecture, IT sourcing, the project portfolio, and business / IT alignment
- Consider the identified challenges and opportunities in cloud transformation, a diverse application architecture with a high legacy portion, and the intense competition in the market for digital / IT specialists
The following approach has been taken to develop a new future-oriented IT strategy and IT operating model:
- Settings session(s) with the core team for developing and driving the new IT strategy
- Analysis of the existing IT strategy and key documents, as well as a briefing workshop series with the IT executives
- Development of an updated IT vision and guiding principles
- Design of an architectural target picture, depicting key elements and formulating vision, requirements, and the road to reach the target state
- Development of an updated capabilities map and cornerstones for the IT operating model, considering agile methods
- Drafting a strategic roadmap to implement the IT strategy and the corresponding IT operating model
- Finalization of the formal IT strategy and target IT operating model with the IT leadership team
The project length for developing a new future-oriented IT strategy and IT operating model was approximately 8 months.