Curriculum Vitae of Christian Kaliauer
Christian Kaliauer is a top consultant to work with your executives and board for (re-)positioning your IT in the context of your entire organization for a competitive advantage.
He provides a unique set of real-world expertise gained in the last 20+ years combining IT management and top-class management consulting experience at the international level. He is an expert on digital & IT strategy and digital & IT operating models, including aspects of the agile movement.
Over the years, Christian Kaliauer worked successfully with clients and companies in a broad set of industries. With CKC, he is primarily focused on working with companies in manufacturing, automotive, high-tech, retail, wholesale, logistics, and services.
IT & Digital Strategy
IT & Digital Operating Model
Strategic Management (especially in setting up or optimizing a future-oriented digital / IT function in the context of the general enterprise)
As-Is Analysis and Benchmarking
Business Process Management (across the overall value chains of the general enterprise)
IT Process & Service Management
Strategic Sourcing for IT and Digital Services
Organizational & Leadership Development
Project Experience in the Following Industries (focus industries underlined)
Manufacturing, Automotive, High-Tech, Retail, Wholesale, Banking, Insurance, Capital Markets, Logistics, Services, Construction, Pharmaceutical, Health Care, NGOs, Public Sector
|2022+||Founder Christian Kaliauer Consulting (CKC)|
|2021 - 2017||KPMG Director CIO Advisory - Practice Lead - Extended Board of Directors*|
|2017 - 2013||Accenture Senior Manager IT Strategy - Practice Lead for Austria|
|2012||E-Control Regulator for Energy Markets AT - Deputy CIO|
|2001 - 2012||Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. - Global Tower Lead IT Frontend & Deputy Head IT EMEA|
* eligibility achieved and formal offer received to enter the KPMG partnership by October 2021
Certifications & Selected Training
SAFe Agilist 4 & 5
PMP - Project Management Professional
ITIL v3 & 4
Certified ScrumMaster (CSM)**
Six Sigma Green Belt (lite)
Accenture IT Strategy College / Chicago - USA
MIT Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Business Process Innovation Academy
Trainer for Agile Methods and Culture
University Lecturer for IT & Management
Member of the communities:
- Agile Essence
- unFIX - versatile organization design
- CNCF - cloud native computing foundation
** expired, formally not extended
The renaissance of business process management - A pivotal approach to drive the digital transformation and transform legacy & core IT (2020 - German publication)
Further Details on his Corner Stones
Christian Kaliauer Consulting
Director CIO Advisory
Senior Manager IT Strategy
Global Tower Lead IT Frontend & Deputy Head of IT EMEA
Supply Chain Management - business informatics
e-business - business informatics
IT and Management
Beginning of 2022, Christian Kaliauer founded Christian Kaliauer Consulting (CKC) with a clear vision and meticulously crafted philosophy.
Help large and complex organizations to develop their Digital & IT function towards competitive advantage by delivering very particular consulting and coaching to their executives.
- stay independent
- stay small and adaptive
- focus on the core competencies of our consulting services to offer the most value to our clients
- thorough and deliberate selection process at the client and consultant sides before entering a consulting engagement
At KPMG, Christian Kaliauer continued his management consulting career and helped KPMG to significantly develop its position towards a top address for CIO advisory (especially IT strategy & IT operating model consulting) in their relevant markets. He further honed his skills and extended his client experience into the categories of large family-owned businesses and the (part-)public sector besides major listed companies.
Starting at the seniority level "Senior Manager" while heading CIO advisory, Christian Kaliauer quickly got promoted to seniority level "Director". He left KPMG, having met all requirements for the seniority level "Partner" and having received a formal offer to enter the KPMG partnership in 2021.
Among his responsibilities had been:
- Lead and develop the CIO advisory practice with their core services IT strategy, IT operating models, and related strategic topics such as due diligence in conjunction with M&A activities, benchmarking, assessments, and sourcing advisory
- Setup of a Digital Transformation Center of Excellence to align and shape consulting offerings, relevant client references, and key personnel for the Austrian market
- Member of the cross-border consulting group for Shared Services & Outsourcing advisory
- Member of the cross-border KPMG Strategy Group for the key services IT / digital due diligence and digital strategy
- Member of the European core team for agile operating models and transformation
- Member of the extended Board of Directors for KPMG Advisory
Training received at national and international levels, as well as acted as trainer for IT strategy, IT operating model, and related innovative topics (multi-speed IT, agile methods, and culture).
At Accenture, Christian Kaliauer started his management consulting career as an experienced hire with career level "Manager". He quickly got promoted to "Senior Manager" based on his demonstrated performance.
Among his responsibilities had been:
- Development of IT and digital strategies, as well as consulting on business / IT transformations encompassing the dimensions of IT operating model, IT architecture, sourcing, and digital
- Setup and development of the IT-strategy consulting practice in the DACH region (Germany, Austria, and Switzerland) while leading the practice in Austria
- Management responsibility at the project, program, and practice level
- Development of Multi-Speed-IT operating models optimizing existing enterprise IT organizational structures
- Drive business development in the area of cloud, DevOps, security, and big data based on results of the prior strategy development work
- Centralization of IT organizations as well as the development of competence centers
- Introduction and build-up of IT service management
- Establishment of harmonized operational and governance processes founded on an adopted tool landscape
- Development of a cloud strategy while coaching the internal project manager of the corporate cloud transformation
- Introduction of agile IT based on DevOps principles
Focused on the following industries: capital markets, insurance, and manufacturing. Most of his clients had been DAX-listed (DAX = German stock market index consisting of the 40 major German blue-chip companies).
Training received at international and global levels, including the Accenture IT Strategy College in Chicago / USA and the MIT Innovation Academy for business process innovation.
At E-Control, Christian Kaliauer had been the Deputy CIO at the Austrian regulator for energy markets.
In addition, he led a major IT infrastructure renewal program and headed the IT infrastructure team.
Christian Kaliauer grew together with the Canadian-based innovative automotive enterprise Bombardier Recreational Products, developing from a divisional IT specialist to a member of the global IT management team.
Major projects and responsibilities had been such as:
- Member of the global IT management team, as well as of the European IS/IT management team
- Global lead for the worldwide digital workplace architecture, infrastructure, and operations team
- Deputy head of the IT infrastructure, security, and operations team EMEA
- Core member of a three-year global IT transformation program renewing the entire IT landscape architecture- and technology-wise, as well as transforming from individual regional IT organization structures to a "one IT team" organization, which was globally orchestrated
- Program management, budgeting, strategic planning, leadership, and organization development
Christian Kaliauer completed his Master of Arts in Business in "supply chain management" at the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria while working full-time.
- Degree with distinction
- Received the Chimney Award for the best student performance among all master programs
- Cross-domain studies encompassing courses in the areas such as innovative business models, strategic management, strategic finance and controlling, supply chain management, digital management as well as IT management
- Master thesis on an explorative study about the relationship between the IT governance maturity level and related business/IT alignment performance in the manufacturing industries
Christian Kaliauer completed his Bachelor of Arts in Business in "e-business" at the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria while working full-time.
- Degree with distinction
- Cross-domain studies encompassing courses in areas such as innovative business models, finance, controlling, entrepreneurship, digital management, IT management, business process management, and organizational theories
Christian Kaliauer completed the College of Electronic Data Processing and Organisation - Specialising in Commercial Data Processing at HTL Leonding in Austria.
- Received a comprehensive education across software development, data management, IT architecture, project management, and business administration
- First encounters with the agile movement getting to know various agile approaches as well as writing a paper on "Extreme Programming"